Today, as May 9th came around, I realized a difficult task was at hand: a mother’s day present. Usually, I bake something for her, take for example last year I made a tiramisu (though I have to admit, that was partially for me :D). So this year, I decided that I should make something fully for her, and her favorite desert was brownies, so brownies was what I made. It was actually quite fast, and easy, and I got it done under an hour( minus the baking time, but that doesn’t really count to me so…).
adapted from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
- Three and a half sticks of (chopped up) butter(the 1/4 of a pound kind)
- A little bit less than 1 pound(or two cups) of chocolate chips(semi sweet)
- 9 ounces semisweet chocolate chips(make sure you keep these seperate! Don’t mix it in with the other chocolate chips.
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- Eight medium eggs(or 6 extra large eggs or seven large eggs)
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules or powder(but if you’re using powder, make sure it’s a little bit less, because the coffee taste becomes overpowering if you add too much)
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups sugar(maybe a little less)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For walnuts: if you want very sparse walnuts add a cup of them. However if you want a walnut or two or three in every bite, add in 3 cups. Or you can add how much ever you want!
First you may want to preheat the over to 350 degrees(I myself don’t, but if you’re one of those people who like the oven ready ahead of time, go ahead). Okay, so after that: mix together the chopped butter, the unsweetened chocolate and the minimized pound of semisweet chocolate, in a bowl(you don’t need a big one yet so, just make sure you have enough space for the chocolate and butter) in a pan of simmering water. Eventually you’ll come out with a bowl of warm chocolate and butter that you will probably want stick your fingers in and eat( it looks and smells soooo good). Don’t do anything with it yet, just set it to the side, and let it cool. Next, in a large bowl combine the coffee, the eggs, the sugar and lastly the vanilla(make sure you don’t beat it, just stir). How ever unlike the previous mixture, it won’t look or taste as wonderful(don’t go and taste it either, remember that it has raw egg). Then stir in the the chocolate/butter, and the result will be a delectible looking, russet colored batter, and then sift in the salt, baking powder, and only one cup of flour. Then lastly combine the remaining nine ounces of chocolate chips, the walnuts, and the remaining one/fourth a cup of flour.
Next, butter and flour(basically just smear a bit of flower and bit of butter all around the pan, it works insanely well!) the pan you’re going to bake it in( I suggest a pan that creates a very thin sort of brownie, but that’s just the way I like it), and bake it at 350 degrees, until you can stick a toothpick in it and have it come out clean. Don’t over bake them, or you’ll come out with square chocolate flavored jaw breakers instead of brownies(a very, very, bad experience!).
So when I did deliver these to my mother freshly baked and all, she smiled her little smile, and went all motherly on me with the hug, and kiss, and thank you :D. And after lunch we had these for desert :)
Happy mother’s day to all mother’s out there :D